Dungeon Crawl Classics has definitely left a mark on the hobby, and I have no doubt that Mutant Crawl Classics will do the same.
DCC is one of the few OSR games that's come close to fantasy roleplaying game giants like D&D and Pathfinder. And if it wasn't for the fact that I design and play my own RPGs, DCC would probably be my #1 or #2 choice.
DCC's funnel system is one of the many things that makes it great. This morning, I was reading this post by Eric Fabiaschi. It got me thinking about the harrowing ordeal that new player-characters have to go through... wouldn't such trauma change them in some way?
So, I created a random table for PCs who survive their first adventure. These results are mainly for the purposes of roleplaying, getting a handle on who your character is, what he's becoming, and why he does the things he does.
Judges should ask players to roll a d16 for each character that made it through the funnel. Don't have a d16 handy? No prob. Just roll a d20 - results from 17 to 20 means there's no real change. Maybe the wizard kept his eyes closed the whole time...
Not Dead... Yet!
Did you survive that meat-grinder he called a scenario? Well, don't get overconfident. Roll and let's see how you'll be handling your fantasy PTSD, courtesy of Venger As'Nas Satanis...
1. Survivor's guilt - why didn't you die, too? You feel awful that you survived when others have not.
2. Paranoia - everyone's out to get you. Trust no one!
3. Turn to the dark side - you've made a pact with wickedness. Evil is your path now.
4. Catatonic with fear - you're a gibbering mess. The insanity will pass soon, but those who look in your eyes can see that you're scared shitless.
5. Triumphant - nothing can stop you. You feel invulnerable!
6. Fate - obviously, you have some kind of destiny... born for greater things than dying in this fucking cave (or dungeon)!
7. Transcendent - somehow you've risen above it all. Your understanding of the universe goes beyond...
8. Nothingness - you feel empty inside, there's a void where your personality used to shine through.
9. Jokester - you cope with the horror by not taking anything seriously. Life is just one big joke to you now.
10. Indulgence - you fill the emptiness with pleasure... wine, women, and song. You're not picky, any hedonistic distraction will do.
11. Need bigger guns! - you're keen to find super-powerful weapons, magic items, or technological devices. Anything that might keep you alive.
12. Overly cautious - you can't be too careful. Never let your guard down. Everyone must watch their step... all the time!
13. Born again - you've found the Lords of Light and their benevolent divinity guides your path.
14. Made your peace - your death is inevitable. Eventually, you're going to get unlucky or make a mistake or face an unkillable opponent. The way you see it, you're living on borrowed time.
15. Adrenaline rush - the danger, the risk, the drama, the reward! You get high from adventuring - to the point that not risking your life is intolerably boring.
16. Roll twice!
Though I created this specifically for DCC and MCC, it's system/genre neutral enough to work for Pathfinder, D&D, Dungeon World, Crimson Dragon Slayer, or any other RPG you have in mind.
I'm allowing anyone to use it, however you want to use it - including commercial use (that means you can try to make some money)! Yes, this is license free. You have my permission. Hopefully, you credit me and Draconic Magazine somewhere, but that's totally up to you.
If you employ it in some fashion, please let me know. I'd love to hear about your game!
Authored by Venger Satanis